Monday (1st July) we left our Largs family and started our journey south.
It was a drizzly, dull day but with promise ... hopefully!
We're off to the English/Welsh border town of Hereford in the Wye Valley where we're staying with friends at Castle Cliffe House
Bedroom with four-poster bed ...
and views over the River Wye which straddles the English/Welsh border and is the 5th longest UK river
Originally the medieval watergate of Hereford Castle, the main sandstone walls of Castle Cliffe East are five feet thick and formed an essential part of the fortifications. Externally you can still see the 13th century arch that visitors to the castle, arriving by boat, would have used to enter the castle grounds. This arch now forms the bathroom window.
This map John Speede 1610)shows that Castle Cliffe House was an integral part of the fortified wall surrounding Hereford Castle until the 1650's after the civil war
Pretty garden overlooking the river
Down the cellar steps from the kitchen into the garden ...
Time for a walk ...
Castle Cliffe House (the watergate) has been in almost constant us for over 700 years. Documentation shows that it was in ruins in 1677 and the house was described as 'a dwelling house' or 'Governors Lodge' ... it's first recording of use as a residence.
In 1787 there was a further change of use to a 'Bridewell' ... prison or local lock-up!
Florence Parlby moved into Castle Cliffe in 1906 and took in paying guest to supplement the family income after their father William Parlby, who was a Liberal politician and supported women's suffrage, suffered financial difficulties
Looking downriver from Wye Bridge built in 1490
With long standing friends Andy and Jen
River Wye Bridge
The boys have been shopping!
Outside the Cathedral after a lovely meal at Miller and Carter Steak House.
A great day with great friends.