Friday 29 May 2015

Single hander and a blond bimbo

Walking back to our mooring after my physio appointment on Wednesday 

in the warm sunshine
 I chanced on mb Banstead and butty Bodmin in the lock
In the afternoon we had visitors - Paul (with back to camera) and his son Tom (far left) came to have a look at Still Rockin’.  The last time we saw them was at Bramble Cutting (above) on 4th September 2010 when they were keen to have first refusal if we ever sold nb Rock ’n’ Roll!

Thursday we pulled the pins and set off and as we were pointing towards Apsley that’s where we went.  Once we’d used the services we dropped down the lock, did a bit of shopping, had lunch and untied again.  I walked on to set the first of three locks on our way to Nash Mills but a narrowboat was just about to enter so I closed the gate after him as he appeared to be a single hander. I also opened and closed the gate as he exited too and at the next lock George went to help him, setting the lock and opening and closing the top gate and opening the sluices when out from the cabin came … yes you’ve guessed it … a blond bimbo! She chatted to the ‘single hander’ as he boarded his boat and left the lock with George having to close the gate behind him. At the third lock I could see that there was someone else opening one of the gates so we thought a boat was coming up so we held back a bit so as not to meet it next to moored boats.  I walked ahead and there was no boat just a helpful passerby who closed the gate after the boat went in.  Then out of the lock went the ‘single hander’ with bimbo beside him reading the newspaper to him leaving the bottom gate open for me to close.  I was furious!!! but there wasn’t much I could do was there!

The remainder of the short cruise was uneventful and we’re now moored at Kings Langley until Wednesday next week.

No comments: