Friday, 17 August 2018

What a surprise ...

We were up and about early on Tuesday morning (14th August) to a spectacular dawn at 5:45.  Unfortunately it didn't set the scene for the day and within half an hour it disappeared into the clouds.
Leaving at 8am ...
and entering Culham Cut

passing Sue and Vic's mooring of last night ...

to Culham Lock which was on self-service, was empty and the tail gate sluices had been left open!  The notice informs that to fill the lock takes 20 minutes so George passes the time with a dog fix!
At last we're in.

Cliften Lock next where the lock keeper grows plants for sale ...

Impressive Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile) and a beautiful yellow Hemerocallis ( also a Lily)

Through Clifton Hampden Bridge

where we can see Wittenham Clumps on one bank and the remaining three cooling towers and chimney which are due to be demolished in 2019
Soooo lucky to have captures these shot!
We've not seen anyone moored here since the land changed hands - this is the mooring notice on the bank.

Heading into Days Lock with one of the 'clumps' in view we can see that the cruiser which overtook us after Clifton Lock is in the lock waiting for us
We needed to stop off at the sanitary station and as we exited the lock could see that there was a narrowboat already moored there.  We asked if we could pull alongside and George winded (turned) the boat so that it was easier to walk across their deck ... no sooner had we moored against them the chap said he'd finished and we had to untie, move back whilst he pulled away and we tied up once again!
It was here that No Problem caught up with us and Sue informed me that she was going to Shillingford, we said our cheerios and they went on their way.
We eventually got moored up just below Days Lock where some gardening was required to get rid of the nettles where we needed to step off the boat.

It's still a bit cloudy but quite warm.

An hour or so later we received a message from Lisa asking where we were.  George told her and said we were staying here tonight and having a bbq ... Lisa said 'we'll be there very shortly!'

and here they are poking What a Lark's bow into a convenient space.  After a very quick catch-up arrangements were made to meet up at 5:30 for the bbq ...
BBQ  cooked perfectly and eaten with relish after which Lisa supplied a varied and delicious cheeseboard followed by coffee (for some anyway).  As you can see there was lots and lots of laughter especially concerning me eating cheese and cholesterol busting butter, and multi-millionaires!
The 'official' obligatory blogging boaters photo!
A beautiful sunset rounded off another ... great day!

No comments: