It was going to be hot, hot, hot again on Friday (6th July) and we're off out for the day
Waiting outside Castle Cliffe House. Garden contractors were removing some trees and we had to wait for their equipment to be moved before we could get the car out
We're off to 'A place of poetry and culture'
The market in Ledbury was established in 1122 but the Market House not built until 1617. It would have had a number of small shops between the 16 pillars
The building that is now Boots Chemist is shown on the census of 1841 (when census' began) as operating as a drapers shop and in 1881 as a watchmakers
Ledbury High Street
The Feathers Hotel, a coaching inn was built in two phases, the south section (left) around 1665 and the north section in the early 17th century.
Church Lane is probably one of the oldest streets in Ledbury
Ledbury Heritage Centre was built around 1480 as a boys' grammar school and is now the town's local history museum
Church House is a Grade II listed building (as are many of the black and white timber framed houses in Ledbury) built circa 1600 is now three houses.
One of the most important building in
Ludlow Ledbury, Abbots Lodge (although there was never an abbey in Ludlow Ledbury) and its origins go back to medieval times and has in the past been a vicarage and a rectory. It is currently used as bed and breakfast apartments.
It is believed that Christian worship here way back in the 8th century and there was a church here in the Doomsday survey. The current church was built in the 12th century but was much extended in the 15th. Work continues today - it now has solar panels on the roof!
Amazing stained glass windows
The painting of the Last Supper is a copy of Leonardo da Vinci's painted by a local artist Thomas Ballard in 1824 (under license from the Royal Academy)
The tower is unusually separate from the church and is 13th century
After a lovely lunch at Chez Pascal in New Street we returned to Castle Cliffe House to relax before walking into town for our evening meal.
Another lovey day out with great friends.