Walking through Higgsons Park in Marlow towards the swollen River Thames last Monday (18th) ...
and crossing the little bridge under which usually runs a small stream into the main Thames channel ...
but today looks more like a fully fledged river itself!
Looking to our right we can see that the line of canada geese is usually the edge of the river bank where we would moor Still Rockin' and the footpath is completely under water.
Looking to our left from the wooden bridge is Marlow Bridge and the church, the lock and the weir
Walking along the footpath ...
towards All Saints Church ...
George admiring the splendid Victorian War Memorial Window in the north aisle.
Unusual marble and stone pulpit built in 1863
The organ is Victorian and cost £700 to build originally and £140,000 to restore!
The Lady Chapel
Window dedicated to the Wethered family
Stone font with beautiful spired cover
Walking through the churchyard looking down the Thames past the weir towards the white appartment buildings to the left of Marlow Lock
For more information on Marlow Church see HERE
Seen over the churchyard wall and wonder if this would have been a church building
Though there was a church in Marlow as early as 1070, the present Church of All Saints is a Victorian creation, built after the spire of the old church collapsed in 1831. The old building was demolished, and a new church constructed of Bath stone, topped by a graceful spire soaring 170 above the town. The combination of spire and bridge form one of the most unforgettable Thames sights.
We come out of the church grounds onto Ferry Street to see these beautiful buildings opposite. The one on the right is 'The Old Weir House' and on the left is Marlow Ferry
I couldn't find any clues from the street as to what this building with its fabulous chimneys was or is. It sits right against the slipway onto the Thames and has a lovely old church-like porch.
The bridge over Marlow Lock's by-wash which leads onto the lock island ...
and the view from that bridge looking upstream with the weir on the left. How tranquil it looks ... very deceiving!
Afterwards we walked back into town, had very nice lunch at Burghers and caught the bust home ... a good outing!